A hearty meal for cold evenings.
If you’re doing Veganuary, follow a vegan diet or simply fancy trying something new, this vegan chilli recipe is a great one for chilly nights. It’s packed with nutrients and delicious too!
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, divided
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice, or sherry vinegar for taste
- Grated vegan cheese/cilantro for garnishing, if required.
- Place a heavy-bottomed pot or a large oven over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the carrot, chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir them until they combine. Continue with occasional stirring for about 10 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent, and the vegetables become tender.
- Add the smoked paprika, garlic, oregano, cumin, and chilli powder. Cook and stir constantly for about a minute or until they become fragrant.
- Add the drained black beans, bay leaf, pinto beans, vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes alongside their juices. Stir until they combine. Allow the mixture to simmer before continuing with occasional stirring and cooking. Ensure that you reduce the heat until the mixture begins to simmer. Continue this process for about 30 minutes before you remove it from the heat.
- You are not done yet. You want more flavour and texture in the chilli. So, add 1 and a half cup of the Vegan Chilli you made to a blender. Blend until it becomes smooth. Transfer the blended mixture into the pot. If you don’t want to use that method, you can mash the Vegan Chilli with a potato masher until it gets to a thicker consistency. You may also want to briefly blend the mixture with an immersion blender to get the chilli-like consistency.
- The last step is to add more taste and garnishing/topping to the Vegan Chilli. You can achieve that by adding the chopped cilantro, after which you stir it to blend with the chilli. Also, add ¼ teaspoon of salt to taste and top with some vegan cheese if you like this. You can refrigerate the chilli for about four days.
The Vegan Chilli makes a great meal, especially for nights when you need something to keep you warm. Have you made one? Leave a comment below to let us know how it turned out! You can find more awesome recipes, educational articles on diets, latest weight loss programmes and weight loss tips on GetLeanerToday.com.