Changing your name by deed poll: who needs to know

Who to tell when you’ve changed your name

Have you ever wondered ‘what happens after I change my name by deed poll’? Well, one of the things you will have to do once the name change has gone ahead is make sure all the relevant people are aware of your new details. There is little point in changing your name if you fail to notify the right people. It could make your life very difficult if they have your old name details when you are going by a new name.

With this in mind, it is crucial that you notify all record holders about your change of name. When you make your deed poll application online, you may want to order some official duplicates. You can send these off to some agencies and authorities for your name to be amended on their records. It is also wise to make a list of record holders that you need to contact . In this article, we will look at some of the main ones you need to add to this list.

Agencies and companies that you need to contact

Most people don’t give a second thought to the number of places and agencies that hold their details, but when you have to think about it, you realise that there are lots of them! So, to ensure you do not miss anything out, sit and write a list of places and agencies you need to contact after you change your name by deed poll. Some of the key ones to add to your list include:

Local authority

It is important that you inform your local authority about your name change, as there are various amendments they may need to make. This includes your council tax as well as any additional services they provide. You can get in touch by phone and ask them what the procedure is, as this may vary slightly from one local authority to another.

Passport office

Another thing you will need to do is to get in touch with the passport office in order to get the name changed on your passport. If you are planning a trip somewhere, you should remember to allow plenty of time because they can get bogged down with passport applications and changes, particularly in the approach to summer.


Your driving licence will also need to be amended to reflect your new name, so you need to contact the DVLA or go onto their website. You should double check what form you need to use and make sure you read the instructions carefully so you know what to send in in terms of supporting documents. You will also need to send in your old driving licence, and once your new one is issued, the old one can be destroyed.

Your employer

Of course, you also need to let your employer know about your name change so that they can amend your details accordingly. This will ensure that your correct name is always on any work-related documents but also that your salary is paid into the right account under your new name and any important forms relating to your pay are also amended.

Your bank

You will need to contact your bank and any building societies you hold accounts with as well to advise them of your new name. They will then let you know what you need to send in and what the next step is to get all your account details changed. This will ensure that your accounts reflect your new name and that there is no issue when it comes to payments going in and out.

Medical and dental facilities

Another thing to add to your list is letting your doctor and dentist know about your name change. This will ensure that your medical notes and dental details are updated, and also means that any prescriptions you receive will be issued under the correct new name rather than in your old name.

Benefits agencies

If you receive any benefits such as Universal Credit, it is important to ensure you advise the relevant benefits agencies such as the Department for Work and Pensions. This will help make sure there are no delays and problems with you receiving your future benefits and that all benefits are being paid out to the correct name.

Double check for other service providers

In addition to the ones outlined above, you also need to contact other service providers such as your gas and electric supplier, the water supplier, your broadband company, and any other service providers you use.

This will mean that all bills are issued in your new name and that the services are provided under your new name.  

See also  How to find the perfect venue for an 80th birthday party