Did you know your skin is the largest organ in your body? It’s also the most important one, as it’s your first line of defence against the elements.
Unfortunately, skin is also one of the first things to show the signs of ageing. And our diet, stress levels and general health all contribute to the state of our complexion.
We can’t stop the ageing process. But thanks to the wonders of modern science and technology, there are procedures available which can reduce the signs of ageing.
I’m a passionate believer in what I call sympathetic restoration. By that I mean ageing gracefully with a little help to look the best you can, using qualified, experienced professionals to carry out your treatments.
Wrinkles, fine lines and age spots are the most common of these. Hollow cheeks, temples and jaw line, droopy eyes with bags underneath and a loss of elasticity and firmness in your skin – can all knock your self confidence.
Most people have heard of Botox. This extremely popular wrinkle treatment involves an injection just below the surface of your skin, reducing wrinkles and fine lines and leaving skin looking smoother, firmer and younger-looking.
Injectable treatments have a very long history of safe, effective use. For example, before they were used on wrinkles, they treated muscular problems like eyelid and facial spasms in cases of Parkinson’s disease. They work by temporarily relaxing the target muscle, which allows the skin above the muscle to smooth out.
Some of the areas which can be treated include:
- Between the eyebrows (glabella lines)
- Crow’s feet
- Around the eyes
- Horizontal forehead lines
- Lipstick bleed lines
- Corners of the mouth (frown lines)
- Sweat glands to prevent hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
Injections take between five and seven days to work, and results last between three and six months. If your muscles are particularly well developed, it might take a few treatments to see impressive results, but most people start seeing the difference after the first treatment.
Even better, patients who have treatments for more than a year don’t have to repeat them as often – it can drop to as little as two visits a year to maintain the effect.
Hollow, sagging cheeks and thinning lips can be treated using dermal fillers, which plump out your cheeks and mouth, giving your face a much younger appearance.
- Juvéderm, Smile and Volbella: These products treat lines and wrinkles, correct facial asymmetry and add volume or fill in lines around the lips. Volbella is particularly suitable for the mouth because it’s designed to be very elastic, which prevents it from wearing away in such a mobile area.
- Sculptra: Boosts volume in the cheeks and improves nose-to-mouth lines and ‘sad lines’ at the corners of the mouth. Sculptra works differently to other fillers in that it doesn’t instantly plump up the area – it works with the skin to naturally produce new collagen over a period of time. It takes several treatments and a few months to see results, but it’s worth it.
- Radiesse: This is used for cheekbones, the lower face and the backs of hands. The filler immediately adds volume, but also works with the skin over time to create new collagen. For hands, Radiesse fills in the hollows around tendons and veins that show more as the skin thins with age. The naturally youthful appearance that dermal fillers provide lasts for around a year, although many clients enjoy 18 months or more.
Botox and dermal fillers are pretty well known treatments, as they’re safe, non invasive and show results fast.
They’re also quick – in fact many of them can be carried out in your lunch break and you can go back to work straight afterwards. They also have a minimum of side effects (and usually none).
Finding the right clinic
Your skin is precious, so you need to take every precaution that you are getting the best, and most professional, treatment.
- Carry out a background check on a clinic before you consider using it, as all these procedures should only be administered by an experienced professional in a suitable clinical atmosphere.
- Make sure they have a professional, skilled team in place.
- You should always have a consultation before undergoing any treatment.
- The clinic should take your full medical history, as this can determine any possible reactions or complications with your treatment.
- Some clinics offer discounts on certain procedures, so it’s worth asking about this.
These days, there’s no need for anyone to feel uncomfortable in their skin. You could kiss your current age goodbye and get ready for the compliments about your youthful, radiant skin…
Further information: My Botox Diary